Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Midterms and Sevilla!

Last week I had midterms.  I spent my time studying in cafe's that had wifi and worked very hard! All the studying paid off becuase I did very well on all of my midterms, which was a relief.  After midterms my friend Shannon and I headed to Sevilla for a couple of days.  It was absolutely beautiful and I would love to go back someday.  The hostel was fantastic, fun people, free breakfast, comfy bed, what else can you ask for? We went on a free walking tour which was awesome, it was about 3 hours and we literally saw just about everything in Sevilla.  The tour guide was from California and she just decided to move to Sevilla one day!! Crazy!
Everything in Sevilla is breath taking: the streets, the buildings, and even the people (way more attractive than in Madrid).  I learned about all of the history of this once port town.  The queen who funded Christopher Columbus's journey to "America" (Queen Isabel) was having a fling with Chris whilst married to the king of Spain, classy!  The cathedral is absolutely astounding and has stood the test of time, and three reins of power (the Moors, the Catholics, and the Romans- not necessarily in that order).  The Plaza Espana was built as a way of saying "sorry we murdered all of your people in the past, let's be friends now!" The building worked and re-kindled happiness in Europe once again.  After the walking tour, we had some kebabs (my favorite) even though they arent really kebabs, just a falafel wrap but everyone here calls them Kebabs (happy mom?!).  We headed back to the hostel and relaxed for a bit and planned on going to a free flamanco show but ended up falling asleep instead.  P.s. I forgot my camera in Alcala while in Sevilla so currently I don't have any pictures, but I will be stealing them from Shannon soon!
Overall, great weekend in Sevilla.  Relaxing, except for the 14 or so miles I probably walked!!
Yesterday was my birthday!!! The big 2-0, im going to be a grandma soon!
I spent my birthday in class for 6 hours, that was wonderful, NOT.
My host family bought me a red jelwrey set which was very nice of them, and they made me a tarta!! (kind of like flan).
I went out on the town last night with all of my new friends and had a blast! (pictures to come soon)
My weekend plans for the rest of the semester:
3-11: Trip to the Roman ruins of Spain with my Arizona group and leader
3-18: Aunt Amy comes to Madrid!!
3-24: Venice and Milan with Laura
3-31: Barcelona with Shannon and Laura (possibly Jordan!)
4-8: Prague with Jordan to visit Shila
4-14-25: Spring Break: Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, and London with Shannon and Gweneth
4-29: Last weekend in Alcala
5-6: HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment